Atlanta Truck Accident Attorney
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were 4,440 semi trucks and buses involved in accidents that resulted in one or more fatalities in 2016. There were approximately 119,000 injuries resulting from crashes involving large trucks and buses in that same year.
As an Atlanta truck accident lawyer, we believe in the rights of the victim. We also believe that it is the duty of an Atlanta truck accident attorney to protect those rights and fight tirelessly for these people to ensure they are fairly compensated.
Mike Rafi is an Atlanta truck accident lawyer you can trust. Crashes involving tractor trailers and passenger vehicles are often catastrophic simply due to the size difference between the two vehicles. These accidents, as any Atlanta truck accident attorney knows, are more likely to cause fatalities than collisions involving two passenger vehicles.
As a trucking crash law firm, we are well aware of the devastation accidents such as these can leave in their wake. Not only are victims forced to undergo weeks or months of medical care, but they can often face financial consequences beyond their control due to lost wages and mounting medical bills.
If you have been involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler or other large vehicle, you need an Atlanta tractor trailer accident lawyer standing by your side. You and your family deserve nothing less than a fair and equitable outcome, and the at-fault party must be held accountable. Our commercial vehicle accident law firm is here to make sure that both of those things happen.
TRACTOR-TRAILER BASICSTractor-trailers are also referred to as “18-wheelers,” “semi trucks,” and “big rigs.” You will find tractor trailers on almost every major highway and road in the United States. Tractor trailers transport about 75 percent of all cargo that is shipped in this country, making them an important part of our economy.
These large vehicles are legally permitted to haul up to 80,000 pounds or 40 tons of cargo. Consider that a typical passenger car weighs only about 2,000 to 4,000 pounds and it is easy to understand just why these accidents can be so catastrophic.
Why Tractor Trailers CrashAs a Georgia truck accident lawyer, we have witnessed a variety of reasons for tractor trailer accidents. Although each accident is certainly unique, there are causes that tend to be more common than others.
- Difficulty Stopping: Because a tractor trailer weighs so much, they take longer than a passenger vehicle to stop. It can take as much as 500 feet or more for a semi truck to come to a full stop. Imagine if you are on the road and encounter a hazard. Your car will come to a rest in about 300 feet. It could take a semi double that length before it comes to a full stop.
- No Zones: As an Atlanta semi truck accident lawyer, we have spoken with countless victims of truck accidents who found themselves in the no zone or a truck blind spot. Tractor trailers have blind spots on every side of their rig, including in the front and in the back. These blind spots often encompass one or more entire lanes of traffic.
- Improper Loading: Loading a trailer is a delicate job. If the cargo isn’t loaded properly it can shift, causing the trailer and its cab to roll over onto the vehicle of an unsuspecting motorist.
- Driver Fatigue or Impairment: We are not only truck accident lawyers in Atlanta, but car accident attorneys as well. We know the dangers of distracted or impaired driving, and truckers are not immune. Driver fatigue and impairment are very real dangers in the trucking world. A driver who is fatigued or impaired has dulled reaction times and may have an inability to make wise decisions when it comes to the operation of their vehicle.
Georgia Commercial Vehicle Codes to Know When Talking to an Attorney
- 40-8-2: Unsafe vehicles, DPS safety rules authority
- 40-8-3: Load dragging on roadway
- 40-8-7: Operating unsafe vehicle
- 40-6-50(b): Driving in emergency lane, gore, or median
- 40-6-52(b): Improper lane use on multi-lane highways
- 40-6-254: Unsecured loads
- Learn more about these and additional codes at Georgia Department of Public Safety
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, you need a Georgia truck accident law firm you can trust. We are Atlanta truck wreck lawyers with extensive track records of holding at-fault drivers accountable for their negligence or error. We will do the same for you.
How an Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
We understand that you may be facing financial difficulty due to the unnecessary strain of medical bills and time off of work. We do not believe that any victim should be forced to deal with this type of burden. You deserve to be compensated for your losses and we want to help make that happen.
Reach out to our office today and schedule an appointment for a free case evaluation. We will review the details of your Atlanta truck accident and your ensuing medical needs and financial difficulties and develop a plan for securing the damages you are entitled to. You and your family do not have to fight the system alone.
Call our office to speak with a member of our team and take the first step on the path to recovering what you are owed. We will work tirelessly to ensure the at-fault driver is made to answer for their choices.