After a car accident in Atlanta, you may be wondering if you need to visit a doctor even though you’re feeling fine. As a general rule, if the accident is anything more than a very minor fender bender, it’s best to see a doctor after a car accident right away.
You may feel fine, but you may not realize that you have an injury until days after a car accident. If you see a doctor, you have the evidence you need to claim any compensation you’re entitled to. You never know what could be lying beneath the surface.
Why See a Doctor After a Car Accident, No Matter What
Visiting a doctor after a car accident is the best way to get a full examination of both your mental and physical health after your car accident. A doctor can ask questions and discuss the accident with you. They will document your thoughts and focus on diagnosing any hidden injuries you may have.
Based on your answers, as well as a physical examination, the doctor can decide whether or not to move forward on any tests to further discover any possible conditions that may be present. If any conditions are present, you’ll have the documentation you need to prove your injury in court and get compensation.
Again, physical or emotional damage may not manifest until days after the accident. If at any time after the accident you are feeling any pain or suspect an injury of any severity, see a doctor immediately.
Common Hidden Injuries after Car Accidents
Car accidents happen abruptly, and during such stressful events, injuries can go unnoticed. There is a wide range of ‘hidden’ injuries that are possible as a result of a car accident, and the best way to treat them as soon as possible is by seeing a doctor.
Hidden conditions after a car accident can include but are not limited to:
- Back & neck injuries– These are potentially lingering injuries that may not seem serious at first, but have to potential to leave life long issues and pain if not treated correctly. The ability to turn your neck and walk are not things to be taken for granted.
- Spinal cord – Spinal cord injuries after a car accident can be lingering damage that could leave you possibly disabled or with minimized motor funtion. Make sure to have any back pain or injuries seen by a doctor.
- Brain injuries – Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can cause issues in every part of your life. They can affect motor function, emotional stability, earning potential, and even interfere with daily tasks such as eating and dressing yourself. Always have head injuries examined by a professional to make sure there’s not internal damage at well.
- Concussions – The best kind of concussion goes away after a few days of healing and leaves no side effects. But some concussions can leave consistent headaches, vertigo, and persistent nausea once they are gone.
- Whiplash – Whiplash is one of the most common injuries from a car accident. It’s an over extending of the muscles in the neck, shoulders, and back with a quick snap back, just like a whip. Untreated, whiplash can cause immobility and severe pain.
- Headaches – Car accident induced headaches could be caused by a brain injury, spine or head injury, or something more. Don’t ignore it just because it’s a headache.
- Internal bleeding – Easily overlooked and a severe condition, internal bleeding is an invisible injury that may cause a person to bleed on the inside without any markers on the outside. If your car wreck cause trauma on your belly especially, immediately go to the doctor.
- Numbness – Tingling in the hands, feet, or limbs can be cause by a pinched nerve from your car accident. Be sure to inform your doctor of any areas that feel numb.
- PTSD – PTSD and emotional distress from a car accident can lead to fees with a therapist, counselor, or even medical prescriptions due to the anxiety of riding in a car again. Don’t not push aside mental anguish as well.
If not discovered quickly, many of these injuries can have devastating results.
Get Help with Your Car Accident Case Today
If you’ve been involved in a car accident and need a lawyer, Mike Rafi can help. At Rafi Law Firm, our goal is to get all of the compensation you deserve. With a history of success representing victims in car accidents in Atlanta and over $31 million earned on behalf of his clients, Mike Rafi is the car accident lawyer in Atlanta you need to recover the damages you deserve.
Contact Mike today at 404-948-3311 or send a message to get your free case evaluation!