Have you or a loved one recently been involved in a car accident? When a car accident causes injury or property damage, you may be able to collect compensation by Georgia state law, no matter the severity.
You can submit a claim to get the compensation you are owed as long as you are not more than 50% responsible for the accident. With your legal claim, evidence is key to recovering damages in full, which can include pictures, videos, a police report, medical documents, bills, witness interviews, and more.
Collecting evidence and being awarded maximum compensation is much easier when you have the help of a top car accident lawyer in Atlanta. At Rafi Law Firm, we offer a free consultation and case evaluation to help you start your claim on the right foot.
Read on to learn more about what qualifies as damages you can be compensated for after an accident.
Vehicle and Property Damages
One of the most common forms of damages that can be collected after an accident are vehicle and property damages. Vehicle damages include anything that needs to be repaired or replaced on your car, and if a car is totaled, you may be able to recover the full market value.
Property damages include anything that is your personal property or possession that is damaged during the accident. This may be a cell phone, jewelry, eyeglasses, and more.
Common car accident injuries and their medical expenses can pile up quickly. To build a strong case and be reimbursed for all medical expenses, you will need to visit a doctor as soon as possible.
Medical expense damages can cover all current and future medical expenses, as long as proper documentation is supplied. This can include costs for treatment, such as medicine, therapy, or rehabilitation, as well as traveling expenses and necessary equipment for your recovery.
Noneconomic damages may not be the first thing on a victim’s mind after a car accident, but they are just as important as the other types of damages. Noneconomic damages are non-monetary losses that include:
- Pain and suffering. Pain cannot be quantified, but it can cause to huge changes in a person’s relationships and quality of life. Pain and suffering include physical pain, as well as mental anguish and emotional distress that stems from the car accident. PTSD or emotional trauma from losing a loved one can all be included in pain and suffering.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. A man who suffers a car accident that eventually causes him to lose a leg will no longer to be able fulfill his role as his son’s baseball coach. He will be subjected to a completely different style of life due to the negligent actions of another. If your car accident results in you losing the ability or enjoyment in certain parts of your life, you may be justly compensated.
- Loss of capacity to earn a living. Any injury from a car accident that causes the victim to no longer be able to perform at work is the responsibility of the at-fault driver. A traumatic brain injury that causes the victim to lose knowledge capacity, communication skills, or consistent headaches will no longer be able to work the same fast-paced job they once thrived in.
- Disfigurement or deformity. Scarring and disfigurement can lead to changes in life from relationships to professional capacities.
To recover noneconomic damages, medical documentation is a must.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury that results in missing work, you can claim lost wages and/or future wages in your lawsuit. You may experience lost wages from attending treatment appointments or from not being able to perform your job due to an injury.
For these damages, you must have pay stubs and notes from your doctor that states if/when you are able to return to work.
In the unfortunate event that the car accident killed a loved one, you and your family may be able to seek wrongful death damages. These damages can include everything from funeral costs to medical bills, loss of consortium, and more.
A car accident lawyer can help you calculate the damages that you can collect for wrongful death.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
When there are heavy damages, a death, or a low settlement offer by the insurance company, hiring a car accident lawyer helps you file a lawsuit with confidence. During car accident cases, it’s vital that you can prove the negligence of the at-fault party, which includes:
- Duty of care
- Breach of duty of care
- Injury caused by the accident
- Real damages caused by the accident
This can be difficult to prove without the help of a lawyer.
When you discuss your case with a lawyer, you will diligently analyze your case together, file a claim, and fight for justice on your behalf. Top car accident lawyer Mike Rafi does not settle for anything less than justice. He is experienced in building strong cases and winning against tough defense teams.
Mike Rafi goes above and beyond to investigate your case. Mike Rafi is a trusted Atlanta lawyer who has won millions for victims of motor vehicle accidents.
Contact Rafi Law Firm for Your Free Consultation
Do you need a lawyer to review your case and advise you on the next best steps to take? Mike Rafi is here to help you find out what damages you can collect and plan the right path forward.
Get your free consultation and case evaluation today by calling 404-948-3311 or sending us a message now!