4 Questions to Ask Your Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a car accident, one of the first things you should do is find a qualified car accident attorney in Atlanta to help you determine if you have a case.
When vetting potential personal injury attorneys, it can be overwhelming to decide who is looking out for your best interest and has the right experience. Because of this, there are a few key questions you should ask your car accident attorney during your initial consultation.
Do I have a case?
It’s important to understand that being in a car accident alone is not grounds for filing a case against someone. Negligence is the key.
To have a case, you must show the other driver was “negligent,” meaning he did not act reasonably. For example, if you got into a car accident because the other driver made an illegal U-turn, you would need to show the other driver broke the law, and therefore, was acting unreasonably or “negligently,” as the law puts it.
The first step is discussing your accident with your attorney to figure out if an individual or an entity (such as a business or local government) was negligent. Then, they can help you determine if you have enough evidence to substantiate a claim that the other party was, in fact, negligent.
A good attorney won’t lie to you. They will make it clear whether you have a qualifying case and whether it is in your best interest to pursue compensation.
What kind of compensation could I receive?
When you consult with the car accident attorneys at Rafi Law Firm, we’ll clearly explain what kind of compensation you may be entitled you based on your car accident’s circumstances.
Calculating the exact amount, though, takes time. Immediately after the car accident, you don’t yet know how much work you’re going to miss, what your medical bills will cost, or what the long-term financial impact of any sustained injuries might be.
An experienced attorney will tell you all of this upfront. Anyone who claims to know the exact amount you’ll receive for your settlement is not trustworthy.
As a car accident victim, you may receive punitive and compensatory damages:
- Compensatory damages are those you receive as compensation for financial losses, which include past and future medical bills, past and future lost wages because of your inability to work, and pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages are those meant as a form of punishment, but that amount is contingent upon who is at fault.
If someone else was entirely at fault for your car accident, you might be entitled to all of the damages. However, if you were partially at fault, you might only be entitled to a percentage of the damages, thanks to Georgia’s comparative negligence law.
A qualified Atlanta car accident attorney won’t promise you a specific amount of money but will instead explain which of these you are entitled to depending on the intricacies of your case and a potential range monetarily speaking.
What will happen during my car accident case?
If your attorney determines that you have a case, they will help you file a car accident claim and guide you through the process. Other topics your attorney may discuss with you include:
- Their fee structure. Most car accident firms, including Rafi Law Firm, offer free initial consultations and are only paid a percentage of your settlement or verdict amount if you win. This means you will never, ever pay us money out of your own pocket—we basically work for free until we win for you.
- The lawsuit process from beginning to end. For example, your attorney may outline how they plan to try settling your case first, how they will get the other party to admit fault, what they will do if any disputes arise, and what will happen if the case goes to trial.
- How involved you will be in the process. Ask the attorney whether they will keep you in the loop each step of the way, each time there is a change to your case, or whether they will handle everything on your behalf and only contact you when the case is over. A good attorney should be able to outline exactly how you can help your case.
- How long the case will typically last. Car accident cases range in length, but on average, are settled in 20 months or less.
Have you handled car accident cases like this before?
As a car accident victim, it is important for you to understand that car accidents fall under the umbrella of personal injury claims. This means that if you file a claim for a car accident, you can technically hire any qualified attorney willing to handle personal injury lawsuits. However, that doesn’t mean you should go with just anyone. You need to specifically ask your potential attorneys whether they have handled cases like yours before.
Auto accident cases are different than truck accidents. Someone who dabbles in all areas of personal injury might have taken on five-car accident cases, 50 medical malpractice cases, 20 product liability case 40 construction accident cases which means they have a limited amount of experience with a case similar to yours.
You will feel much better knowing that the attorney you select is someone who is not only qualified but who has experience in cases just like yours and can prove a history of successful settlements.
To receive your free case evaluation from an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney, contact Mike Rafi today at (404) 800-1156. He is ready to help you make sense of your car accident case and get the compensation that you need to move on from this trying time in your life. We’re looking forward to hearing from you today!
He was beyond professional and hardworking.
We highly recommend Rafi Law Firm! Mike’s services led to the most equitable outcome.
Mr.Rafi and his team were a pleasure to work with!