Amoeba Listed as Cause of Death

A young woman in Ohio has recently passed away after contracting a brain-eating amoeba infection. The girl’s parents believe that she was exposed to the amoeba while on a trip to Charlotte. The 18-year-old had visited a water park in the state during a trip with her youth ministry.

CDC officials from Atlanta went to Charlotte to begin an investigation. It is believed that the young woman was rafting at Whitewater Center when she capsized. It is a possibility that an amoeba traveled up the woman’s nose and into her brain, resulting in the serious, but rare, infection. Officials are not saying for certain whether the girl contracted the amoeba at the center.

What is known is that that suspected cause of death is Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis. The infection is caused by a one-celled organism, Naegleria fowleri, that causes no illness if swallowed. It is when the organism is inhaled or otherwise forced up the nose that it can be the cause of a fatal illness.

Officials are asking anyone swimming during the warm weather to make an attempt to keep their head above water. If a person chooses not to keep their head above the water or is submerged, they should plug their nose as soon as possible. This will limit the possibility of any organisms present from traveling up the nose.

When a loved one dies in Atlanta through no fault of their own, the family experiences a particularly sort of grief. Our law firm is here to offer you legal guidance and assistance. Call our team today to schedule your appointment for a free case evaluation. You may be entitled to various forms of compensation for your loss.

2018-02-27T11:47:59+00:00