Georgia Car Accident Laws to Know

//Georgia Car Accident Laws to Know
Georgia Car Accident Laws to Know2019-09-23T14:00:56-05:00

illustration for georgia car accident lawsIf you’ve recently been injured a car accident, you may be wondering how to get the compensation you need for medical bills, damage or destruction to your vehicle, and other expenses. The Atlanta car accident lawyers at Rafi Law Firm can help you recover the damages you deserve when you call us today at (404) 800-1156.

As you explore your legal options with your attorney, you will learn how your case relates to the following Georgia car accident laws:

How Georgia Calculates Fault in Auto Accidents

Comparative fault is the processed used to determine who is more responsible for an auto accident. Georgia’s comparative fault laws allow for some debate. Insurance companies will often attempt to insist that the other driver was mostly at fault, as this reduces the amount of damages they’re liable for.

If someone smashes into your perfectly parked car, that individual’s insurance company will have a difficult time arguing that you are at fault. If you were going five miles over the speed limit when the accident occurred, the opposing part’s insurance company is likely to attempt to assign a percentage of the fault to you.

An experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer will be able to help you argue your case. By minimizing your fault percentage, you’ll be entitled to more compensation for your accident. If a compelling case shows that 80% of the fault can be placed on the other driver, you’re entitled to 80% of the damages you requested. The other 20% will simply be subtracted from the total damages. Anyone found to be 50% or more at fault will not be able to obtain compensation.

How Long You Have to File Your Car Accident Claim

The state of Georgia allows car accident lawsuits to be filed for up to two years from the date the incident occurred. But, if the other driver received a citation, the deadline is 2 years after the criminal case was finished, which usually means when the other driver paid the citation or was found guilty in court. Because some people won’t immediately experience the effects of an injury from an auto accident, the law is designed to give accident victims time to recover and weigh their options.

The opposing party’s insurance company or representation is also aware of this timetable and may try to use it against you. Lengthy negotiations can sometimes run out the clock on the statute of limitations, leaving you without a path of recourse.

Even though two years seems like plenty of time, it will pass you by quickly. You should hire an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Waiting to act will only make the situation easier for the person who injured you and delay the justice you deserve.

Damages and Compensation After a Georgia Car Accident

Car accident damages include lost wages, medical expenses, rental cars, property damage (including repair or replacement of your car), and wrongful death. Your Atlanta car accident attorney will ensure that all damages are accounted for in your claim.

Getting the Help You Deserve For Your Car Accident Case

If you or someone you love was the victim of a car accident in Atlanta, Rafi Law Firm is here to help you. Our experienced Atlanta car accident lawyers understand how devastating a car accident can be, and we want to help alleviate your financial and emotional burden. Call us today at (404) 800-1156 to schedule a free case evaluation with Mike Rafi and our team of dedicated attorneys.

Personal Injury Law

Results and News

$6,000,000
Settlement for family of client who was shot and killed at Atlanta apartment complex
$2,000,000
Settlement for client who injured hand in defective machine
$1,850,000
Recovery for client shot at gas station $1,700,000.00 jury verdict against gas station operator (highest pre-trial offer was less than $100,000.00) and $150,000.00 settlement against landowner
View All case results

Client Reviews